The survey was carried out by Northstar Research Partners and ARM. Researchers surveyed only consumers with some knowledge of AI, gauging opinions from nearly 4,000 respondents across the US, UK, Sweden, Germany, China, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.
Survey respondents believed that jobs in manufacturing and banking would be most disrupted by new AI technologies while professions related to cooking, fire-fighting and farming will continue to be the domain of humans. This was the view of most people surveyed about a robotic future; with those surveyed in Asia responding most positively, followed by the US and then Europe.
Overall, consumers were surprisingly optimistic on the future outlook with 61 percent believing that “society would become better” with increased automation and AI. In particular they support applications in health care and science, and are prepared to trust machines to diagnose illnesses, drive cars and be personal companions.
Key Survey Findings Summary: Benefits vs Drawbacks for Consumers
What is the biggest benefit of a future in which AI significantly impacts life?
- 37% believe there will be advancements that help humans, i.e., in medicine and science
- 29% believe tedious or dangerous tasks will be done by robots
- 19% believe in lower business cost leading to better service and lower prices
- 11% see less chance of human accidents/ mistakes
- 5% more free time
What is the biggest drawback of a future in which AI significantly impacts life?
- 30% Fewer or different jobs for humans
- 20% Giving some control over our lives to machines
- 18% More data being shared and potentially stolen online
- 12% Societal issues around fewer opportunities for humans/ feeling less useful/ too much free time
- 11% Machines becoming independent and able to think for themselves
- 9% Tendency to build relationships with machines more than humans
Learn more about this research and download the full report here.
ARM technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. Our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 100 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's largest business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
About Northstar Research Partners Ltd
Northstar Research Partners, a member of the MDC Partners Network, is a leading global full-service market research and consulting firm. Established in 1998 and having grown to 50+ team members, Northstar has completed over 5,000 qualitative, quantitative and consumer anthropology studies with services in both consumer and business-to-business channels.