SEOUL, South Korea -- (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Following on from the first Catholic Art Competition held in 2009, the Archdiocese of Seoul is now preparing for its fifth competition.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170321006648/en/For the fifth Competition, we sought to set a theme with no inherent religious connotation, which allows artists to contemplate aspects of significance that the Catholic Church has been trying to seek and preserve. After serious consideration, we have decided upon "Connect" as the theme for the event.
There are many definitions in the Korean dictionary for the word "connect," such as "to join together two ends," "to carry on," "to make [many people or things] line up," or "to follow on." The word "connect" is "full" of so many connotations, whereas it is also an "empty" term that must be used in reference to an object. This allows us to use the word with any term like "love," "faith," "hope," and "the spirit of martyrdom." The word encourages us, and our church, to think about the things that we want to connect. It is our hope that this competition can offer a forum for both its entrants and viewers to discuss their own object of connection, along with unchanging truths and other truly valuable things, through the medium of visual language.
Conditions for application
• Eligibility: Anyone aged 19 or older, regardless of nationality/gender/religion
• The official languages shall be Korean and English
Category and Restrictions
• Flat surface: Within 259.1×193.9cm
• Three-dimensional: When installed, the work shall not exceed 200×200×200cm
* In the case of media art, the running time shall not exceed five minutes.
• Submission of artwork images for preliminary screening
: Sep. 19 (Tue) to 26 (Tue), 2017 / online and postal mail
• Submission of actual works for final selection (limited to entrants that pass the preliminary screening)
: Oct. 24 (Tue) to 31 (Tue), 2017
Awards (Includes purchase price and tax)
• Grand Prize (to be purchased) : KRW 50million (1 person)
• Gold Prize (to be purchased) : KRW 20million (1 per category)
• Silver Prize (to be purchased) : KRW 10million (2 per category)
• Bronze Prize (to be purchased) : KRW 5million (3 per category)
• Honorable Mention : KRW 2million (5 per category)
KEYWORDS: Asia Pacific South Korea
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Religion Entertainment Arts/Museums Events/Concerts Consumer